Ways to Foster Your Child's Success
Talk with your child. Talking early and
often with your children helps them trust
you as a source of information and guidance.
2. Set high but realistic expectations.
Paying attention to your children's strengths,
while acknowledging where they need assistance,
can help children develop realistic self-expectations.
3. Build your child's self-esteem and confidence.
Encourage your children to make choices
even if it means making mistakes. This is
how children learn and grow.
4. Keep your child healthy. Promote your
children's physical emotional, and social
5. Support learning at home. Show that
education is important to you and that you
6. Communicate with your child's school.
Communicate on a regular basis with the
school to stay informed and involved.
7. Encourage exploration and discovery.
By encouraging your children to develop
their interests and seek opportunities to
try new things you help them make the most
of the world around them.
8. Help your child develop good relationships.
All children want to fit in and belong.
Helping your children develop friendships
that affirm them will go a long way to helping
them build solid relationships a adults.
9. Keep your child safe. Teach your children
safety procedures and how to avoid dangerous
10. Participate in community service. Children's
positive energy and talents can be acknowledged
beyond the classroom when used to serve
or help others.
From "How to Help Your Child Succeed"
-- National PTA's Building Successful